Purposeful defined is “having or showing determination or resolve.” Are we purposeful in finding time with the Lord? Is it something we truly make sure we get in during our day? I know I’ve read books and blog posts encouraging me to make my time with God priority but let’s be truthful here: life happens. However, when life happens, time with God makes a difference even in the smallest effort. God’s Word does not return void. “So shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty.” (Isaiah 55:11)
The baby didn’t sleep well the night before so we’re tired or one of the children was sick all day long and needed us or maybe we overslept and been playing catch up all day? Whatever life throws us, it is true that sometimes our time with God gets pushed aside. It happens. Maybe not intentionally but it does happen. I’ve been there. So, today let me share with you 5 ways to be purposeful in finding time with God despite all the ways it can be nil.
1. Refuse to miss a day! Set your mind on being in the Word and praying. Determine that you will not give this up no matter what comes your way. Even 5 minutes here and there can add up to Scripture goodness for the soul. Get up earlier before the house awakes or set aside the last 15 minutes before bedtime as God’s time. Maybe dive in during breakfast and/or lunch. “So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.” (Romans 10:17)
2. Plant tools. Yes, plant “tools” around your home to help keep you in the Word. Scripture cards on the kitchen table; another bible on the coffee table; short devotional by your favorite chair. Scripture taped by light switches. You get the idea. I even have scripture cards in my car for whenever I need them.
3. Include your children. If you haven’t found some alone time with God (yet), get in some Bible time with your children. Read a bible story and discuss it. Even this sweet time in God’s Word with your children does not return void. Plus, it encourages your children to know that time with the Lord is so important and needed. “Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.” (Proverbs 22:6)
4. Ask the Lord to make it happen. Oh, this is probably the best way to be purposeful in finding time with God. Go to Him in prayer and ask for that meeting time. He will make it happen because He is faithful and wants to meet with you. It’s never Him that’s unavailable, its us. Lay your desire at God’s feet and trust he will make your time with Him happen. “Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you.” (Jeremiah 29:12)
5. Meet Him right where you are. Sometimes scheduled time isn’t feasible so stop when a moment arises and meet with the Lord. Susanna Wesley used to cover her head with her apron skirt and meet with God. Her children knew when mama covered her head she was not to be disturbed. We could learn from Mrs. Wesley that anytime is good time.
It is so easy to let our day go by without reading even one Scripture yet it is one need that we shouldn’t let pass. Let’s be purposeful in finding that time with God. “And Jesus answered him, “It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone.’” (Luke 4:4) And if, honestly, it doesn’t happen…. grace! Give yourself grace.
How do you make sure you find time with God?