Most of you know I am an avid walker. It is one of the ways I stay fit and healthy. I do walk at home DVDs and I take walks outside when I can. I know walking holds so many benefits to it and is easy to do. Now the recommended amount of steps to get in a day is 10,000. That may seem daunting but its really not hard to accomplish. Below are 5 sure ways to 10,000 steps a day.
1. Own a pedometer. This is an important tool in keeping track of how many steps you take a day. Mine was all of $10 at Target and not only tracks my steps but measures the miles I walk and the time it takes. This is a good investment into a good walking program especially if you are determined to get in 10,000 steps to better health.
2. Walk around your neighborhood. Plan weekly walks around your neighborhood. Even twice a week is good. I know when I get in two miles of walking, I’ve reached half my goal of 10,000 steps just in that time. I live in a rural area so the terrain is more challenging but I still try to walk it to work towards my steps goal. It’s funny but when I walk outside, I forget all about the “10,000” and end up enjoying the walk itself without realizing I got in 5,000 steps in that time. Try it!
3. Walk every chance you get. You’ve heard it many times…skip elevators and take the stairs if you can. A couple of flights will do you good and get you closer to your 10,000 steps a day. Also, park a little further from the store and walk the distance. Instead of texting a co-worker, walk to her office. If you own a treadmill, you can do this instead of walking outside. Every opportunity to get in a few steps pushes you towards your goal.
4. Make it a goal and invite a friend. Decide to get in 10,000 steps a day. Period. Even if you don’t reach it, make it a goal to do so. Ask a friend to walk with you and keep each other accountable. Goals are better reached when we are motivated and friends will help with keeping us motivated.
5. Understand why its important. So why 10,000 steps? Walking isn’t just a way to get from here to there but a great way to help in weight control/loss, physical health and beauty. You’re burning fat and calories, building strength and endurance and giving your heart a good health boost especially if you up the intensity of your walk. Get your arms involved and try a path with inclines and declines. Be intentional in your walk to better your health. 10,000 steps can be accomplished but if you don’t reach it…grace!
Bonus encouragement: Get some good walking shoes. Make them a fun pair so you get excited about putting them on and walking. I bought purple and black Nike on sale. I’m more of a white athletic shoe wearer but these called to me. I wear them every time I go walking.
*If you’re trying to lose weight with walking, you will need to monitor the food portion of your goal as well. Meet with a nutrionist and get some good information on how that looks for you. Also, I’m not an expert – just a mom who desires to be healthy. Please consult a physician before embarking on any new fitness program.
So, do you get in a goal of 10,000 steps a day? How do you go about it?